Senior Data Scientist, Product Analytics
Wellington, New Zealand
Are you passionate about leveraging data to drive business value? Do you enjoy partnering with business leaders to drive sound decision making? Love working with product managers to identify new opportunities and ensure measurability of product investments and experiments? If so, we’d love to talk to you. We’re on the lookout for an experienced, business-savvy analytics professional to help us take our product analytics practice to the next level.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis to drive a deeper understanding of how our customers interact with our products, helping to answer key business questions, and to identify new questions and experiments aligned with opportunity.
- Contribute to product roadmaps, leveraging experiments, historical data and analytical models to identify opportunities for new investment and optimisation to drive key metrics.
- Build mechanisms to empower operational and exploratory analysis, forecasting, and impact analysis.
- Lead key metrics definition and institutionalise monitoring and root cause analysis around metric deviations.
- Influence business leaders and product teams through data-driven recommendations. Communicate state of business, experiment results, and forecasts to product teams and the business at large.
- Build and analyse key dashboards and reports required across the business; enable product managers and other stakeholders to build and track dashboards and reports in their own areas of ownership.
- Develop an analytics roadmap to improve company maturity around use of data and promote a culture of excellence and rigor around analytics.
- Iteratively improve organizational capability around data through well-designed tooling, documentation, and teachable, replicable processes and practices.
- Collaborate with our technology teams to specify, build and optimize data pipelines and analytics tools and infrastructure.
- Consistently prioritize and right-size analytics efforts to optimize for velocity of learning and aggregate value creation.
- Ability to build strong relationships across functions and with leadership, solidifying trust in the analytics function as a driver of sound decision-making.
- Proven ability in developing and delivering analytic solutions for a range of business problems.
- Experience using statistical methods, modeling, experimental design and quantitative analysis to impact key decisions in a product-led business.
- Fluency in SQL, data languages and statistical tools (Jupyter Notebooks, Python, R) as well as product analytics and BI Tools (Google Analytics, Amplitude, Pendo).
- Excellent communication skills – oral, written, and visual; ability to take the results of analyses and communicate meaningful recommendations concisely to a variety of audiences.
- Leadership skills to inspire, nurture and grow the people around you.
Preferred (but not required):
- Experience in the SaaS industry
- Data engineering experience (ETL/cloud data pipelines)
- AWS services for analytics and data engineering including Quicksight, Athena, Glue, Sagemaker
- Cloud data warehouses, such as Redshift or Snowflake
- Tertiary degree in Statistics, Engineering, Analytics, Math, Computer Science, Operations Research
We are looking for an amazing person, not a list of bullet points. In exchange for your skills and awesomeness, we will provide you with the tools you need, the work environment you crave, the best colleagues, professional development and a smorgasbord of office dogs to pat.
If you’re a machine learning or AI practitioner and have read this far, good on you! That probably means you’re more concerned with interesting business problems than a particular solution pattern. We’ll be happy to have you employ ML/AI where it makes sense for our business.
Our customers are global, our industry is exciting and our product is designed to create better human experiences all over the world. This role can be whatever you make of it – the potential is huge! Do not delay in getting in touch with a cover letter and CV.
We like to do things differently at Optimal Workshop — Do you?
While we review your application, why not check out our blog or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter?
Note: This is not a remote opportunity. Due to Covid 19 border restrictions, candidates are required to be based in, and legal to work in New Zealand.