Product Designer (Junior)
Wellington/Remote New Zealand
Optimal Workshop is building discovery tools for crafting better human experiences. Our software is used by experience designers, information architects and user researchers in over 132 countries and in over 80 languages worldwide.
The role of a Product Designer is responsible for championing customer-centric product decisions using customer insights, empathy, and design thinking practices. Their work is crucial in ensuring Optimal Workshop’s products and services deliver exceptional digital experiences for our customers.
As a Junior Designer, they work alongside another Designer as part of a cross-functional squad to develop design solutions while collaborating with members of the team. As part of the Design Faculty, they work with all of Optimal Workshop’s Designers to grow the collective design capabilities and internal design practices.
Put people at the heart of all your work
Understand our customer’s needs and champion their voice when identifying product design solutions. Support research activities and leverage customer data to identify customer pain points and opportunities. Understand the needs of the business and consider them alongside the design of quality customer experiences.
Create Bold UX Solutions
Design high quality user experiences with intuitive and delightful design solutions. Align your work with Optimal Workshop’s design system and brand. Learn about and contribute to the overall product vision to help Optimal Workshop continue to be leaders in our field.
Drive Collaboration and Communication
Provide design-thinking as part of a cross-functional squad, and work alongside a wide range of disciplines including engineering, product, and customer success. Contribute to creative workshops and collaborative sessions to identify viable solutions that align with Optimal Workshop’s strategic priorities.
- Experience designing UX solutions for digital products. Knowledge of design patterns and how to apply them.
- Knowledge of human-centred design best practices.
- Collaborative and motivated to contribute to the team: comfortable working within a cross-functional team, and supporting the team and others to continuously grow and improve.
- Curiosity to investigate customer insights and evaluate solutions with research.
- Collaborate with colleagues from across the business via workshops and co-design sessions.
- Curiosity to continuously learn about new practices in discovery, design patterns, methodologies, etc. A desire to grow by seeking constructive feedback and providing it in return.
- Clear communication, documentation, and storytelling to share design decisions and research findings.
- Experience using industry standard design tools, and keeps up to date with design tooling and trends over time.
People and Culture
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and is committed to continual self-improvement, with a focus on growth and performance.
- Engages as needed in the scoping, recruitment and onboarding of new team members.
- Demonstrates commitment to cross squad and team communication, collaboration and connectivity.
- Upholds the principles of and models the behaviours of The Optimal Way championing the Optimal Workshop culture and living and breathing our values:
- Approachable – We’re here when you need us and love a silly question. We give people the tools and knowledge they need to get stuff done and grow. We’re exclusively inclusive because we care!
- Bold – We’re not afraid to do things differently and make a few mistakes along the way. We take ownership of opportunities and find the courage to forge a better path.
- Curious – We’re insatiably curious, just like our customers. We prove hunches with data and follow our instincts. We put people at the heart of everything we do.
We believe building diversity at Optimal Workshop enhances our workplace and helps us drive the success of our business. It not only provides us with a broad range of perspectives that leads to healthy discussion and better decisions, but it also means our workforce better reflects our hugely diverse community and industry. We therefore actively work to encourage and support employee diversity across Optimal Workshop.