Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
Remote, New Zealand
Optimal Workshop is building discovery tools for crafting better human experiences. Our software is used by experience designers, information architects and user researchers in over 132 countries and in over 80 languages worldwide.
As CMO you lead and facilitate OW’s brand, marketing and communications to drive OW to be the premium global brand for Information Architecture. This includes a passion for exponential revenue growth, aiming high, delivering accurate marketing projections, aligning teams, and creating the best possible user experience. We will rely on you to build a world-class SaaS Marketing team and lead them to succeed.
- Lead and deliver cross-functional marketing and communication activity to meet OW’s strategic priorities and business performance, scaling, and growth objectives.
- Company-wide leadership aligned to the OW leadership ethos and supports OW’s vision, values and culture. Will include actively communicating, influencing and supporting the other Chiefs with the overall aim of creating a high performing team and organisation.
- Proactively gather insights from and for OW to inform strategy, plans, culture and operations.
- Customer marketing and demand gen programs to generate and nurture inbound leads via events, SEM, email, retargeting, targeted social advertising, cooperative marketing with partners, and in-app engagement, driving adoption, engagement, expansion and loyalty at scale.
- Category design and content marketing programs to drive traffic and engagement that translates to sales and positions OW as the globally recognised category leader.
- Support the CEO, including working closely on brand, vision, and communications in general.
- In association with the CRO develop and execute revenue-related strategies including pricing, positioning, and partnerships, linked to overall company strategy.
- Own the marketing and communications strategy for OW and ensure it aligns to successfully deliver against revenue and company goals.
- Identify target customer markets, evaluate market trends and develop competitor strategies.
- Together with the CPO and CRO, collaborate on strategic marketing, product roadmap, pricing, positioning and budgeting decisions.
- Build and lead the marketing team to execute on company, revenue and marketing strategies.
- Identify and remove roadblocks that impede the effective execution of strategy.
- Provide leadership on Product-Led-Growth: marketing and onboarding (free to paid) including retention and onsell/upsell
- Lead the creation and maintenance of great marketing partnerships at OW e.g. Channel sales, partner development, freelance service providers and marketing suppliers.
- Lead the development of an effective User Community to build advocates, influencers and referrers to increase engagement, retention and brand awareness.
- Lead compliance across all areas related to marketing and communications ensuring OW adopts and maintains best-practice.
- Lead the OW brand – in all its manifestations, including visuals – to ensure it continues to evolve to effectively represent the company, its culture and community.
- Accountable for the overall operation and performance of the Marketing Team
- Jointly accountable – with the CRO – for OW’s revenue growth across freemium, self-service and sales-supported acquisition, retention and expansion.
- Coordinate marketing and communications activities to increase customer acquisition, expansion, retention and enhance our brand awareness and reputation.
- Accountable for marketing and communications processes e.g.Marketing Cloud, website(s), reporting, tool management and maintenance. Jointly accountable, with the CRO and CPO, for pricing, packaging, sales positioning, and delivery at OW.
- Responsible for monitoring and managing marketing pipelines and channels to determine – in advance – the level of risk. Making proactive adjustments to accelerate revenue and minimise potential revenue churn.
- Overarching responsibility for the Marketing Technology stack, including Marketing Cloud, to ensure it is providing appropriate capability and capacity to deliver against OW strategy.
- Work with members of the marketing team and those they engage with to ensure the team effectiveness and efficiency in delivering against OW’s strategies and objectives.
- Produce annual marketing forecasts and targets, updated and rolled quarterly to reflect product progress, external context, capacity, and pipelines.
- Oversee and manage the budget for marketing and communications delivery for marketing
- Responsible for marketing and communications reporting as required, including to the Board and shareholders.
- Any other duties as necessary in the effective performance of the role, or as reasonably directed.
People & Culture
- Consistent with OW’s broader culture, develop and nurture a high performing, customer-obsessed culture that is focused on revenue enablement, automation, excellent customer service, and continuous learning.
- With Practice Coaches and PX generally, support individuals’ development within the marketing team
- Working with Practice Coaches and PX generally, actively care for members of the marketing team
- Engage as needed in the scoping, recruitment and onboarding of new marketing team members, ensuring the marketing team has appropriate capability and resourcing.
- Consult, support and collaborate with the various Heads Of, Faculty Leads and Faculties.
- Mentor and develop the Head of Marketing and others identified within the Marketing Team to become effective leaders and successful in their roles.
- Identify and help to manage conflict and performance issues with PX for people in the marketing team
- Drive cross squad and team collaboration and connectivity.
- Uphold the principles of and model the behaviours of the Optimal Way.
- Approachable – We present ourselves openly to our colleagues and customers. We warmly and respectfully receive new ideas and feedback.
- Bold – We’re not afraid to do things differently and make a few mistakes along the way. We take ownership of opportunities and find the courage to forge a better path.
- Curious – We are experimental with our work and with the way we work together. We actively seek facts and a better way to create better experiences for our colleagues and customers alike.
- Actively works to encourage and support employee diversity across Optimal Workshop.
We believe building diversity at Optimal Workshop enhances our workplace and helps us drive the success of our business. It not only provides us with a broad range of perspectives that leads to healthy discussion and better decisions, but it also means our workforce better reflects our hugely diverse community and industry. We therefore actively work to encourage and support employee diversity across Optimal Workshop.