Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Wellington, New Zealand
Optimal Workshop is building discovery tools for crafting better human experiences. Our software is used by experience designers, information architects and user researchers in over 100 countries and in over 70 languages worldwide.
As CFO, and as a member of our Leadership Team (LT), you oversee the day-to-day financial activities, long-term financial strategy and capital functions of Optimal Workshop (OW).
- Delivery of OW’s strategic priorities and business performance, scaling and growth objectives, whilst ensuring each work area is aligned.
- Company wide leadership aligns to the OW leadership ethos and supports OW’s vision, values and culture. Will actively communicate, influence and support the other Chiefs with the overall aim of creating a high performing team and organisation.
- Proactively gathers insights from and for OW to inform vision, strategy, plans, culture and operations.
- Supports the CEO, including with the Vision and capital planning.
- Leads the development and the execution of the capital strategy ensuring that it supports the long term vision and company strategy.
- Builds and leads the Finance Team to support the execution of the OW Strategy.
- Leads the day to day finance operations of OW.
- In conjunction with the CEO, leads the capital strategy plan including the work associated with raising capital, reporting, and working with investors and shareholders.
- Identifies and removes roadblocks that impede squad and tribe ability to execute strategy.
People and Culture
- Consistent with OW’s broader culture, develops and nurtures a high performing, customer-obsessed culture that is focused on financial performance
- With Practice Coaches and PX generally, supports individuals’ development in the Finance team.
- Works with Practice Coaches and PX generally, actively care for members of the Finance Team.
- Engages as needed in the scoping, recruitment and onboarding of new Finance Team members, working to ensure the Finance Team has the appropriate capability and resourcing.
- As an active member of the Finance Faculty, provides support and leadership when required
- Identifies and helps to manage conflict and performance issues with PX for people in the Finance Team.
- Drives cross squad and team collaboration and connectivity.
- Upholds the principles of and models the behaviours of the Optimal Way.
- Accountable for the financial operations and performance of OW including budgeting, forecasting, capital investment and performance reporting
- Maintains a strategic view on our long term financial position and development of associated plans
- Accountable for cash management policy and risk across an increasingly broad range of operational, international currency and tax requirements
- Works in conjunction with the COO to develop the annual budget and monthly reporting to the Board.
- Development of any necessary financial policies and processes
- Work in conjunction with the COO on global incorporations, specifically:
- International Finance Reporting standards
- Year end reporting for various global entities
- Transfer pricing
- FX policy and processes
- Optimisation of the return on capital employed and return on assets
- Building better SaaS finance reporting and communications
- Acting as a bridge between OW and any significant new investors
- Any other duties as necessary in the effective performance of the role, or as reasonably directed.