How do I import a Treejack tree from Excel or another spreadsheet application?
To import a Treejack tree structure from Excel or another spreadsheet program, you need to format your worksheet so that each 'level' in the tree is represented by a column in your spreadsheet. It helps to add a "Home" (or similar) label to the top-left cell (A1), but if you don't, a "Top" label will be added for you.
An example is provided below:
Your tree is probably much bigger; you don't need to worry, you should be able to add as many columns and rows as you need to represent your site structure.
To get the tree into Treejack, just highlight the full contents of your spreadsheet worksheet (or just the cells that represent the entire tree) and copy and paste it into Treejack's text editor field on the "Tree" tab of your survey setup.
Text file / manual import
(this doesn't apply if you're using Microsoft Word - see below)
To import a Treejack tree structure from a text file, the document has to be formatted in the same way as if you were entering it into the text box directly:
- each item on its own line
- each level of content indented the same amount
- use only tabs OR spaces, don't mix them
- if you don't include single top-level item as the highest level of content, one will be inserted for you.
Library Home About Us Our Librarians Physical Address Lending Services Overdue Fines Reservations Inter-library Lending Contact Us
A note about Word documents
Our text box isn't currently smart enough to handle people pasting things in from Microsoft Word documents. If you've constructed your tree in Word, try pasting it into Notepad first to make sure it will come out how you expect.
- What is the maximum number of participants that can respond to my survey?
- How are Treejack scores calculated?
- How do I import a Treejack tree from Excel or another spreadsheet application?
- Treejack Webinar with Dave O'Brien - January 2011 (getting started)
- Treejack Webinar with Dave O'Brien - January 2011 (advanced)
- View all (1 more)
- How can I see who has completed my survey so far?
- What are the limitations of a free Optimal Workshop account?
- Is Optimal Workshop Section 508 (Accessibility) Compliant?
- Are the Optimal Workshop applications available in my language?
- How do pre-survey and post-survey questionnaires work?
- View all (11 more)