How to analyze Treejack results?

Patty Gale

31 Jan, 2011 08:55 PM

I have run a Treejack survey, and now I'm ready to analyze the results.
Do you have any guidelines on analysis?
When I first started poking around your site, I found a recorded session about Treejack surveys and how to conduct them and what they're useful for, etc. I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing, and I was trying to find it again to see if it or other sessions talk about analysis, but now I cannot find this information.
Can you point me to it? or other info that might be helpful?

1. 2 Posted by Evan on 31 Jan, 2011 09:48 PM

Hi Patty,

Great timing. We are actually planning to release a recorded webinar this week which will include information on how to perform Treejack results analysis. I will make a note to update this discussion once we publish.

In the mean time, a basic method for Treejack results analysis would be this:

• Download the results spreadsheet

• Take a look at the destinations tab and try to identify any patterns between the themes of your tasks and the failure/success rate between tasks

• On a task-by-task basis, hypothesise the reasons that failure has occurred (for tasks with < 80% success). This requires to you examine the results and make some assumptions about any common incorrect patterns. It may be that a certain part of the tree tended to draw people in when it shouldn't or that a particular label was too weak, causing participants to head in all directions rather than heading down that specific path even though it was correct.

• Take a look at your first-clicks worksheet. It's really important to improve any bad scores on this page. Use the same method described above and try to figure out where the failures are. This page is in some ways like a closed card sort, given to you for free with your Treejack results :)

• If you're ever struggling to get in the head of your participants, try looking at the paths worksheet and examining the paths taken for a specific task. There may be some insights in there.

Once you've come up with some proposed changes, create a revised IA and launch another survey. The new scores will tell you whether your changes are in the right direction.

I hope this helps. Will be in touch with more information soon.

Regards,
    Evan

2. 3 Posted by Patty on 01 Feb, 2011 12:02 PM

Thanks for the tips.
    Can you explain the information on the Destinations tab of the spreadsheet? Does pink and red indicate wrong guesses?

3. 4 Posted by Evan on 01 Feb, 2011 09:36 PM

Hi Patty,

Yes, pink is incorrect, and red is popular + incorrect. We will be adding a legend to that worksheet to clarify that. To be specific, red is where 20% or more of participants selected a particular incorrect answer.

Cheers,
    Evan

4. 5 Posted by Evan on 03 Feb, 2011 02:08 AM

Hi again,

Here is a link to the mentioned webinar:

https://optimalworkshop.tenderapp.com/kb/treejack/treejack-webinar-...

We have an advanced webinar recording coming too. I will link to it from the getting started webinar article.

Cheers,
    Evan

5. Evan closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2011 02:08 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac