Minimum number of participants for treejack

Dilip Chetan

19 Jan, 2011 09:39 PM

I'm trying to figure out the minimum number of participants I'd need for my Treejack survey. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dilip

1. 2 Posted by Jennifer Manning on 19 Jan, 2011 11:56 PM

I'm also trying to find that out. Did you receive any updates?

2. 3 Posted by Evan on 20 Jan, 2011 12:50 AM

Hi there,

As a minimum, I think that the trends in your data will start to become clear with about 60 participants. But ideally, I like to see about 120 - 150.

Treejack is great in that if you do get a huge number of participants (greater than 150, perhaps up to 1000), it isn't going to greatly impact the amount of work required for your analysis. In contrast to say an Open Card Sort, where the more participants, the more work you'll be doing for analysis.

So if I was running multiple studies, and I wanted to use my participants wisely, I would try to direct about 120 of them to each survey.

Have you thought about how you are going to recruit your participants yet? I'd be keen to hear about it and perhaps share some of the lessons we've learned recently.

Thanks,
    Evan

3. 4 Posted by Dilip Kaipa on 01 Feb, 2011 09:16 PM

HI Jennifer,
    Here's what I heard from Evan.
    Sorry, I couldn't reply sooner. But I missed this email as I was busy traveling.

Hi  there,

As a minimum, I think that the trends in your data will start to become clear with about 60 participants. But ideally, I like to see about 120 - 150.

Treejack is great in that the number of participants (above a certain amount) isn't going to greatly impact the amount of work required for your analysis. In contrast to say an Open Card Sort, where the more participants, the more work you'll be doing for analysis.

So if I was running multiple studies, and I wanted to use my participants wisely, I would try to direct about 120 of them to each survey.

Have you thought about how you are going to recruit your participants yet? I'd be keen to hear about it and perhaps share some of the lessons we've learned recently.

Cheers,
    Dilip

--- On Wed, 1/19/11, Jennifer Manning <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Minimum number of participants for treejack [Questions]
    To: "[email blocked]" <[email blocked]>
    Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 3:56 PM

4. 5 Posted by Dilip Kaipa on 01 Feb, 2011 09:19 PM

Thanks Evan,
    I'm in the midst of my recruiting efforts now. I'll let you know how it pans out.
    By the way, I apologize for not writing sooner. I was on the road quite a bit and missed seeing your email.
    Dilip

--- On Wed, 1/19/11, Evan <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Re: Minimum number of participants for treejack [Questions]
    To: "[email blocked]" <[email blocked]>
    Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 4:50 PM

5. 6 Posted by Evan on 01 Feb, 2011 09:34 PM

No worries,

I've written some other recommendations over in this article as well:

https://optimalworkshop.tenderapp.com/kb/remote-user-testing/how-ma...

Cheers,
    Evan

6. Evan closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2011 09:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac