How can I analyze answers to pre- and post-survey questions?

Joe Sokohl

28 Dec, 2010 02:03 AM

i see the raw results, but they're difficult to use--I need to know, for example, how many respondents answer Yes vs. No to a question. Also, I would like to see individual line items for respondents and the way they answered the questions. Thanks.

1. 2 Posted by Evan on 29 Dec, 2010 11:01 PM

Hi Joe,

What application are you using?

Regards,
    Evan

2. 3 Posted by Joe Sokohl on 29 Dec, 2010 11:24 PM

Hi Evan,

I'm using Optimal Studio and Excel (the latest, for the Mac).

3. 4 Posted by Evan on 02 Jan, 2011 09:09 PM

Hi Joe,

The way that you analyse the results will vary between OptimalSort, Treejack and Chalkmark. In each of the applications you can use the Participants table within the results section of the web application to filter the results shown through the web app results interface based on the answers provided to pre and post survey questions. In Treejack, when you use the Participants table to filter the results, this will also affect the downloadable spreadsheet. However in OptimalSort this isn't the case just yet. We've been rolling out the filtering features over the last two or three weeks so it isn't totally complete. If you're using OptimalSort and you want to filter down to a subset of the results using the spreadsheet, for now you will just have to do that using the features of Excel. So before you import your raw data into the analysis template, you'll want to delete the rows that you aren't interested in. There are features in Excel (the simplest way being to sort on a column) that should allow you to isolate the responses you aren't interested in and remove them from the raw data quite quickly before you do your analysis. Given that there is a fair amount of work involved in analysing an open card sort, I would consider performing the open card sort results analysis using all of your participants, especially if these all represent actual users of the eventual website.

I will be back in the office as normal from January 5th (NZST) - I should be able to provide more assistance then if you have any questions.

Thanks again,
    Evan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac