Can I use images of products, rather than written tasks, to evaluate a site-map?

Ben

27 Feb, 2012 02:09 PM

Can I use images of products, rather than written tasks, to evaluate a site-map?

1. 2 Posted by William on 27 Feb, 2012 09:39 PM

Hi Ben,

It's not currently possible for Treejack tasks to contain anything other than plain text. Part of the reason is one of security, but it's also just a matter of us not having considering the possibility of people wanting to test images - this is the first time anyone has asked about this.

Could you tell us a little more about what you're looking to test?

2. 3 Posted by Ben Simmonds on 28 Feb, 2012 09:46 AM

Sure - we want to use images of products to test the taxonomy for a furniture retailers website - this way, we are not planting 'keywords' for the user to simply hunt down in the IA.
    The reason is that we know that users have various descriptions for each item, eg - a media unit is also known as a TV cabinet, entertainment unit, TV & HiFi storage. Equally 'bed frame' / 'bedstead' / 'bed base'.

I guess the solution is to simply describe the item, trying to avoid planting keywords.

3. 4 Posted by William on 28 Feb, 2012 10:09 PM

One option is to have multiple tasks for each set of descriptions, where one task asks for "TV cabinet" and another for "Entertainment unit". That way you could see how each potential descriptor fares.

You're absolutely correct that you should try and avoid keywords in your tasks that give a clear hint to the answer - this is relevant to everyone who uses treejack, not just for people testing product taxonomy.

4. William closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2012 11:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac